Production notes for auditioners
Character breakdown, with character ages:
- DR. SIGMUND FREUD, 50, preoccupied with controlling Anna
- DR. WILHELM FLIESS, 40, in love with Emma
- DR. SANDOR FERENCZI, 30, in love with Anna, then engaged to Marie
- DR. WILHELM REICH, 25, obsessed with his haircut
- THE UNCONSCIOUS, 30, wants to destroy Freud
- ANNA FREUD, 16, flirts with Sandor
- EMMA ECKSTEIN, 17, in love with Fliess
- PRINCESS MARIE BONAPARTE, 19, flirts with Freud, engaged to Sandor (French accent, if possible)
- DANCER, 17 (nonspeaking role)
Also looking for assistant director, choreographer, choreographer intern, fight director intern, publicist, lighting director, hairstylist, makeup artist, & tech help.
No preparation is necessary for the audition. Actors will be invited to ad lib scenes with each other, based on scenarios that we'll provide.
High school students can play all roles.
If cast, the time commitment is, at first, only two hours for the initial reading.
There's one dance scene in the show.
Princess Marie Bonaparte has a towering beehive hairstyle. [Marie, director's sketch (left)]
The hairstylist will prepare the actress's hair before each show.
Wilhelm Reich's hair is combed straight up.
The hairstylist will prepare the actor's hair to resemble Reich's eccentric style.
Notes for actor playing Reich:
- Highly recommend this film, The Strange Case of Wilhelm Reich.
- You can hear Reich's voice here: Wilhelm Reich - Alone (10. min home recording 1952).
- Although the action in this play takes place before Reich moved to the United States, you can see inside his Rangeley, Maine,
residence and laboratory in this six-minute video, Wilhelm Reich documentary film project.